[HOW TO] Add options to Thunar's "Send To" menu

Thunar's "send to" menu option can be easily extended using desktop entry files. All we need is to create a new desktop file in ~/.local/share/Thunar/sendto/ for each destination. The desktop file has a MimeType field which allows you to control on which file types the "send to" option will appear. If you omit the MimeType the option will appear for all types.

Example

The example bellow is a option to send my sketches to Picasa. It appears only for PNG images and uses a shell script that I wrote and is in $PATH. You can use it as a boilerplate for your own.

# sketchupload.desktop - Send to Picasa
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
TryExec=sketchupload.sh
Exec=sketchupload.sh %F
Icon=picasa-16
Name=Send to Picasa
MimeType=image/png;

References

The "Send To" Menu

Comments

  1. One thing I would find very useful is the ability to send files to another tab, now that Thunar uses tabs. But I do not know how to accomplish that. Any clues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can open a directory on a new tab (right-click -> Open in New Tab). If you change Thunar's settings you'll be able to middle-click a directory to open it on a new tab. Other than that I can't see the point of sending files to new tabs.

      Delete
    2. I think the point is not to send files to a new tab but just the next open tab, which indeed would be useful. E.g. nemo has it by default.

      Delete
  2. Great tips as always. Ive got a question, you always use -y what is the use of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assume yes. That way it'll install without prompting for confirmation.

      Delete
  3. Great! I learned something new today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I installed Xubuntu yesterday. I don't have a "Send to" feature in the "right click on file" Thunar. Also, per the above: I have no Tabs in Thunar either. Can you point me to a Tutorial or How To, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your Thunar is old. Here's how to upgrade it: http://goo.gl/eVRl7

      Delete
  5. I have Xubuntu and the only local i see is /usr/local/share/ and there is no Thunar, ver. 1.63 being what i have. And how can you add favorites/bookmarks to Thunar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Create the Thunar folder inside ~/.local/share/
      Bookmarks can be added using drag & drop.

      Delete
  6. This is very helpful. But I was looking for a way to add a "Browse..." feature that would open a directory window and allow me to send a file wherever I wanted.

    Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the the "Send To" menu is already possible to send a file.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[HOW TO] Create QR Codes in Xubuntu 12.04

[FIX] VLC is unable to open the MRL (smb://)

Add items to Xfce Applications Menu